Website The Motley Fool
This Job listing For Year 2022 is about The Motley Fool in Chicago, IL
About the job
The Motley Fool is looking for a highly skilled Freelance Copy Editor to join our team on a remote independent contract basis, 15-20 hours per week. This role is 100% remote, but this person must reside in The United States.
Who We Are
We are The Motley Fool, a purpose-driven financial services firm with nearly 30 years of expertise. Our goal is to make the world smarter, happier, and richer by providing outstanding business and investing advice, at scale. But what does that even mean?! It means we’re helping Fools (always with a capital “F”) demystify the world of finance, beat the stock market, and achieve personal wealth and happiness through our investing services, like Stock Advisor, and Motley Fool Wealth Management, our portfolio management service.
Who We’re Looking For
We’re looking for a Freelance Copy Editor to join our Product Copydesk to help ensure the accuracy and clarity of our paid subscription service content. Our members rely on these products to shape their stock portfolios and thus their financial futures, so it’s important to have editors we can depend on to help us deliver high-quality articles and emails and keep our workflows running smoothly.
The ability to spot and fix typos as well as issues of grammar, style, tone, and clarity are table stakes, and editing online should be second nature. You’ll be working with a team of in-house product operations managers and investing analysts, as well as contract writers and other contract copy editors, so communicating and collaborating well with other people, remotely, is also a must.
In addition to editing, you’ll be responsible for inputting all content into our homegrown (and sometimes quirky) CMS, so you’ll need to be tech-savvy and open to regularly performing content-management tasks. Our volume ebbs and flows, so you’ll need to be comfortable tackling a high volume of content under tight deadlines at times, but also willing to pivot to non-time sensitive projects (some of which may not involve copyediting but require a similar attention to detail and familiarity with our CMS) when things get slower.
Overall, you’re a dedicated partner who’s willing to pitch in as needed to fulfill our content needs on the path to making our members smarter, happier, and richer.
- You’re a quick learner — and know enough to know what it is you don’t know.
- You don’t need to be a stock expert, but you know enough about investing that you can edit articles about it skillfully.
- You have experience with and are comfortable working in a variety of tech systems: e.g., CMSes, Wagtail, Trello. You are proficient at editing in Google Docs and using tools like Slack and Zoom to communicate.
- You’re cool under pressure and energized by working in a fast-paced environment. (But able to be patient during the occasional slow period.)
- You’re easy to work with, flexible and adaptable, and open to feedback along the way.
- You have a sense of humor and find joy in your work.
- You’re able to dedicate at least 20 hours a week to this role, with at least some of those hours falling between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. ET.
- A combination of stellar editing skills and a flexible mindset; high but not rigid standards. An eye for details but doesn’t get hung up on inconsequential ones; has their priorities straight. Sensitive antennae: Can tell when something about a piece isn’t quite right.
- Reliable, dependable, trustworthy.
- Able to hit the ground running and thrive under minimal supervision.
- Experience editing financial services or (long-term) investing content is a huge plus.
- Experience fact-checking is also a huge plus.
- Passing a copy editing test will be required.
Company: The Motley Fool
Vacancy Type: Contract · Entry level
Job Location: Chicago, IL
Application Deadline: N/A
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com