This listing is about Spectrum in Akron, OH
About the job
Spectrum Networks is looking for enthusiastic, talented and driven individuals to join the best and brightest in gathering, producing and delivering stories that make a difference within a 24-hour breaking news environment! Our commitment is to engage viewers with relevant, timely news that’s important to the local communities we serve.
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings,
weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You’re fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You’re nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for: The News Content Associate is responsible for assisting in various areas of the newsroom which includes but is not limited to writing, editing, shooting video and conducting interviews in the field. Assists the assignment desk, writers and producers in researching, original, exclusive and creative content for on-air and contributes to story ideas and advance developing stories.
Major Duties And Responsibilities
- Actively and consistently supports all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience.
- Research stories, summarize data and enter information into the planning grid.
- Maintain, update and provide data on stories as new information develops
- Keep up to date on current events through various sources, such as media, newspapers, radio, etc.
- Provide up-to-date information to Assignment Desk on breaking stories
- Gather story ideas from reporters, producers, and other sources and assist in setting up future stories
- Develop and write factual, clear, creative and original news stories and edit the stories on deadline
- Update scripts as stories change
- Edit video and sound bites both for assigned stories and reporter live shots
- Follow up on on-going stories
- Develop sources within the community, including government agencies and public relations representatives
- Assist reporters and MMJ’s by setting up and scheduling interviews and providing details of interview including gathering and shooting b-roll
- Monitor police scanners and fire scanners for breaking news and developing stories.
- Assist Reporters and Photojournalists during live shots and live events.
- Report relevant information back to station from scene of news events.
- Check equipment and notify appropriate personnel of equipment issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills/Abilities And Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Familiar with news camera equipment as well as newsroom systems and non-linear editing systems
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to learn how to operate various news broadcast equipment, and embrace a newsroom culture that blends news content gathering with production operation
- Ability and enthusiasm to learn how to write and post content to station web site, along with editing video clips for on-air newscasts and station web site
- Ability to work teleprompter, studio camera, audio, switcher, etc.
- Knowledge of Social Media such as Twitter & Facebook
- Ability to work well under pressure and daily deadlines
- Have good creative and editorial judgment and understand journalistic ethics and libel laws
Education & Experience:
- High School diploma required; Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism or related field or comparable television work experience preferred
- 0-2 years of Television Broadcasting & Social Media
Our Culture: Every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication (despite pressure), openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn, and an overall positive attitude! Roles may require the following:
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24×7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
Our Commitment During COVID-19 Your health and safety is important to us, as such we’re using virtual recruiting tools to safely meet with qualified candidates. We are working in the office, following CDC guidelines.
Get to Know Us Charter Communications is known in the United States by our Spectrum brands, including: Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach. When you join us, you’re joining a strong community of more than 95,000 individuals working together to serve more than 31 million customers in 41 states. Watch this video to learn more.
Who You Are Matters Here We’re committed to growing a workforce that reflects our communities, and providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement. Learn about our inclusive culture.
Job Location: Akron, OH
Application Deadline: N/A
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com