Website Simply Business
Are you looking for a Job at Simply Business in London, England, United Kingdom
in 2022. Then following info is about this job.
About the job
We’re Simply Business
We insure small businesses and enable big dreams – not just for our customers, but for our people and communities too. With over 850,000 active insurance policies, we protect builders, bakers, landlords, and more than 1,000 other trades.
We harness cutting-edge data ability, believe in experimentation, and build our own technology to deliver better experiences for our customers and employees. This means we’re as much a technology company as one that sells insurance. We build, we fail, we learn, we improve. We’re a B Corp too, which recognises our strong track record of having a positive impact on people, society and the environment.
If Simply Business sounds like the kind of place you’ll thrive, we’d love to hear from you
Why do we need this role?
This role will sit within the global Data and Analytics team (DNA) in Simply Business. DNA has been central to empowering data-driven decision making at SB. We have invested heavily in our data pipeline, data engineering and our business intelligence capabilities. We have had several successes in bringing machine learning and predictive analytics approaches to the forefront in areas such as insurance pricing, lead scoring and speech analytics. However we need to up our game applying machine learning (ML) and other predictive analytics techniques to other novel problems within SB.
DNA has 3 sub-functions: Prediction and Learning (PAL), Data Engineering (DE) and Business Intelligence (BI). This role will lead the PAL function that is composed of data scientists and machine learning engineers based in the UK and the USA.
We believe this role will help accelerate the adoption of aforementioned capabilities throughout key functions in the company. This includes powering our digital products and platforms as well as our growth, operations and commercial functions. A particular focus will be to build approaches to get a deeper understanding of our customers such as: who they are, their needs, wants and behaviours. In 2022 and beyond, we will be investing a significant amount of effort in our digital products and the platforms that power them. We envisage a future where we can start to identify our customers way before they buy our product; they are given personalised recommendations on what insurance products are available to them; we can upsell and cross-sell products; we can accurately predict how likely a customer is going to buy a product once given a set of choices; we can estimate their lifetime value; we can present the right product choices to the customer and once a product is bought, we can continue to track how likely they are to remain with us over a period of time and become a loyal customer.
As the head of the PAL function, you will:
- Build and lead a high performing team; drive professional development goals of the team
- Champion the adoption of machine learning, statistical learning and predictive analytics across SB, both in the UK and the USA
- Operate as a strategic thought leader who sets the vision and direction for data science, machine learning and MLOps; lead longer term strategic DNA projects
- Partner with senior stakeholders to take targeted product or commercial use cases and translate them into the right problem that the PAL team will build, test and productionize
- Particular focus will be on use cases that will help us move the needle on gaining a deep understanding of how to target, serve and retain our customers better
- Work cross functionally with the rest of the product org to influence product strategies and roadmaps
- Examples include: customer lifetime value estimation, propensity modelling, predicting churn, recommending the next best product to buy, ConversationalAI amongst others
- Pitch ideas and present outcomes to senior management
- Partner with the DNA leadership team to author and develop core data sets and empower operational and exploratory analysis
- Influence the DNA roadmap in conjunction with the other DNA leads
- Identify innovative developments in academic research and spot opportunities to apply them to SB’s use cases
- Engage in external outreach initiatives by presenting innovation at external events such as conference and meetups
- Elevate Simply Business to an Insuretech that leverages advanced analytics to solve commercial challenges; contribute to our corporate vision & strategy
What are we looking for:
- Masters or PhD degree in computer science, Mathematics, Statistics or a related scientific field with deep and hands-on data analysis experience
- Ideally 10+ years of overall experience with 5+ years spent on managing teams; advanced degrees could be counted towards experience requirements
- Significant hands-on experience in developing and productionising a multitude of predictive modelling techniques which could be machine learning or statistical learning based Experience in advanced modern machine learning methodologies such as representation learning, machine learning on graphs and graph embedding techniques will be an added advantage
- Proven experience in applying ML and other predictive analytics approaches to digital product development
- Deep understanding of the entire ML lifecycle with at least 5+ years experience in taking models from concept to production
- Experienced at mentoring, coaching and upskilling junior members of the team
- Strong communication and data presentation skills with ability to effectively communicate technical information to senior executives
- Achieved results in fast-paced environments and driven empirical business outcomes
- Knowledge of the insurance domain will be an added bonus
Our culture is inclusive and diverse
We Embrace Individuality We value what’s important to each and every SBer. Whether that be providing access to cutting edge wellbeing support, or being part of one of our many diversity networks and communities. We also take personal development seriously – we’re all about enabling big dreams.
We Trust Who We Hire We empower SBers with choice and flexibility to make the right decisions based on the needs of their roles and we’ve been working this way long before Covid19.
There’s no one-size-fits all solution when it comes to how often we get together in person, so all of our people and teams find the rhythm that suits them best when it comes to working from home or hub.
We’re innovative We’ve created a place for people to be curious, experience new things, and bring unique ideas to the table. If you want to learn how we do all this – head over to our Careers page where you’ll see us walk the talk
Our mission is to make Simply Business synonymous with fairness, belonging and inclusivity. We won’t be happy until we’ve created a truly inclusive culture – where every employee, whatever their background, role, or location, feels comfortable being their authentic self at work.
We all have a part to play – to learn more, to do more and to go further – in building this new reality that’ll be befitting of the diversity of the customers we serve. At Simply Business, we’re all in.
What are the benefits?
At Simply Business, our benefits let you balance life and work properly:
- flexible parental leave – you can choose to take shared parental leave, plus we offer full pay for the first six months of your maternity leave and four-week fully paid paternity leave, subject to meeting the qualifying criteria
- remote working – more of us are currently working remotely than usual, but longer-term you can balance working remotely with working in the office, giving you the opportunity to connect with colleagues
- mental health and wellbeing resources – we take your wellbeing seriously, giving you access to counselling (through our Employee Assistance Programme) as well as technology to support your mental health (through the Unmind app)
- paid sabbatical – two weeks off when you’ve been here for five years and four weeks off when you’ve been here for 10 years
- a dedicated learning platform – including a management and leadership programme – the platform lets you balance both work and life goals
And we compensate you fairly:
- a competitive salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day
- the potential to earn an annual bonus based on business performance (those on commission-led roles will be rewarded monthly)
- we match what you put into your pension up to five per cent
- a health cash plan reimburses your everyday medical expenses (with the opportunity to increase the level of your plan in your flexible benefits)
- a generous holiday entitlement of 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- life assurance of four times of your basic salary
- Smart Health services including unlimited access to a 24/7 virtual GP
- a flexible benefits scheme with an allocated allowance each year to choose from benefits including private medical insurance, dental insurance, travel insurance, up to five days extra holiday, and gym membership
These values are important to us and our people
These all mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re thinking about working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
Company: Simply Business
Vacancy Type: Part-time · Mid-Senior level
Job Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Application Deadline: N/A
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com